Microsoft Outlook is a popular email service used extensively by companies and individual users to manage their personal information, send and receive emails, schedule appointments on Outlook Calendar, and more. This email service is particularly useful for users that carry out emailing activities daily as its feature such as scheduling emails, categorizing emails, automatic replies, delivery & read receipts, scheduling meetings, and more are specifically helpful.
One of the many convenient features is the Outlook Search feature; it enables the users to find all related emails based on a keyword, date, sender’s name or email address, and subject of the email. This feature is specifically helpful for those who receive and send multiple emails in a day. However, users often experience Outlook search, not working problems, which can be pretty inconvenient as looking for a specific email in thousands of emails is equivalent to finding a needle in a haystack.
What do you do if you experience similar errors while searching on Outlook? We have curated this blog to provide you with relevant solutions so you can quickly solve such issues.
SOLUTIONS TO RESOLVE OUTLOOK SEARCH ISSUES
Users often receive error messages such as “Outlook something went wrong” while searching for a specific email – this usually means that Outlook is unable to complete your search; it could be due to multiple reasons. However, below are five solutions to fix such outlook search issues.
REBUILD THE SEARCH CATALOG
The first solution is to rebuild the search catalog of your Outlook account. You can do that by following the steps mentioned below.
- Start by exiting Outlook and closing the application
- Open Windows Control Panel and search for Indexing Options; click on the correct result to open Indexing Options
- Indexing Options dialog box should open on the screen – click on the Advanced tab to open it
- Then click on Rebuild when the Advance tab opens in the Indexing Options dialog box
- Finally, click on OK and then click on Close
You must wait until Outlook finishes indexing and try again later.
The following solution to Outlook search not working is to repair Office altogether. To repair Office on your Windows 10 desktop or laptop, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Start by right-clicking the start button and selecting Apps & Features on the pop-up menu
- In the Apps & Features window, click on the Microsoft Office that you wish to repair and choose Modify
- There are two types of installation types depending on the type of your Office install; Click-to-run or MSI-based install, identify yours and install accordingly
- Click to run: Select Online Repair from the How would you like to repair your Office programs, and select Repair to ensure everything fixes.
- MSI Based: select Repair in the Change your installation window and click on Continue
Please note that the process for other Windows models, such as eight and below, may vary slightly. Please complete troubleshooting Outlook search issues accordingly. Once you have repaired the office, open Microsoft Outlook and see if it functions properly now.
RUN SEARCH TROUBLESHOOTER
The following solution for Outlook something went wrong error is to run the windows search troubleshooter. To perform this task on your Windows 10 computer, follow the steps below.
- Click on the Start button placed on the taskbar and select Settings
- When the settings open, click on Update and security
- Click on Troubleshoot in this segment
- Find and click on Search & Indexing and then click on Run the Troubleshooter
Complete running the Windows troubleshooter and try searching on Outlook again.
INCLUDE OUTLOOK DATA IN INDEXING
The fourth solution for Outlook search not working is including Outlook data in indexing. Follow the steps mentioned below to include Outlook data.
- Start by exiting Outlook on your computer
- Open Windows control panel to open the Indexing Options dialog box
- When you open the Indexing Options dialog box, ensure that Microsoft Outlook is listed under the Included Locations column
- If it is not added to the list, click on the checkbox next to Microsoft Outlook to include this software
- Finally, click on OK and then close the application
By including Outlook data in indexing, you can resolve the issue at hand. However, if it doesn’t resolve after it as well, try the next solution.
INCLUDE DELETED ITEMS
The outlook may not search for a particular email because it is present in the deleted folder. You can include the deleted items by following the steps mentioned below.
- Launch Outlook on your system
- Click on the File option at the top-left corner to select Options, then select the Search option
- Check the checkbox next to Include messages from the Deleted Items folder in each data file when searching in all items option and then click on OK.
- Restart Outlook to check whether or not it is working OK now.
If including deleted items folder does not work, please move on to the next solution.
CHECK DATA FILES SELECTION
The fifth and final solution for Outlook something went wrong is checking if data files are selected. To check the same, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Launch Outlook on your computer and click on the search box
- Choose the Search tools option and click on the Locations to search from the Search menu
- Kindly ensure that all data files/stores listed are selected
After you’ve checked if data files are selected, kindly open Outlook again to see if it is functioning correctly now.
Using all five solutions mentioned above, you should be able to resolve the Outlook search issues. If you are still unable to fix the problems, you can uninstall Office from your system and re-install it on your computer. If you require more assistance to help you fix your issue, kindly check out our other blogs, where you will find a step-by-step.